Monday, July 6, 2009

Knee Schmee



I have had a solid 9 operations on my left knee alone... and 3 in the past 6 months.  To say the least I am sick of being knee-restricted!  After my surgery in December I could not walk for three months and then had another surgery and could not walk for another 2... not cool, not cool at all.  For those of you who don't know me on a personal level, I love being active- whether I am walking, hiking, kayaking, tossing the football with my brother or dad, biking, doing yoga, etc., I love love love to move!  This past week has been one of the best for me knee-wise and that in combination with the fact that it was sunny for the first time in about 8 weeks, I went a little berserk!  
From the second I woke up and saw the sun I was psyched... made breakfast, went for a walk and then decided it was time to attempt outdoor biking for the first time (since my surgery).  I took my bike out of the garage, which was filled with cobwebs, dirt and buggies... hosed it down and hopped on.  Ok, I TRIED to hop on.  Yeah, not so successful!  After about 3 tries (I felt like I was 4 again!), I was able to get up on the bike and pedal fast enough not to tip over!  The first two tries I did in fact fall over, kind of a slow motion fall where if I could actually move my leg well enough I could have dismounted the bike instead of getting tangled in it, but alas I was not so nimble!
After conquering the pedaling, I made it about 3 laps around my house!!  YEAHHHHH, I was thrilled.  Yes, the pain started shortly after that and I had to call it quits for the day but whatever, bike ride outdoors- check!  
Then I thought it would be a great idea to put air back into every sports ball we had in the garage, dust them off and give them a spin.  For the next hour I was shooting hoops, bumping the volleyball and hitting the whiffle ball across the yard.   It was close to dinner time so I went in and made... hmmm, what was it.  Oh, creamy spinach and lentil stew.  Dinner $5.35/person, Whiffle Ball $.99, playing all day like a 5 year old- priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment