Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Peach and Nectarine Tart, Mmmmm, so good!



Ok, so we had a basket of peaches and nectarines ripening on my countertop... all looking incredibly desirable in perfect hues of orange and rustic reds.  Clearly I had to do something with them!  A sweet peach on its own is already a mouthwatering treat but I was in the mood to make it something special. 
I have made gluten-free pie crust before (pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving) and it turned out surprisingly well so I thought I would give it another whirl.  I threw together a pie crust (made with sorghum flour, brown rice flour, a little sea salt and organic butter), divided it into two and rolled out (very gently might I add!) two individual tart crusts.  
To make the filling, I mixed together the peaches and nectarines with a little cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice with a drizzle of maple syrup.  Let me just say that when I peeled the peach it was so ripe the sweet juices were running down my hands... thats when you know its going to be damn good!
I digress!  Anyway, so I wanted to make two varieties (as you can see above) one plain with a simple crumb topping and the other with slivered almonds, pistachios and unsweetened dried cranberries.  I am always adding nuts to things, I don't know what my deal is, maybe its a phase... Well, they both came out pretty fantastic but I actually preferred the plain.  Hmm, maybe its time to give the nuts a break!  I mean they are really healthy so I guess I will just go back to using them occasionally :)
This recipe will be posted in July's NourishThis.com updates.
Oh, I topped this one with coconut ice cream... non-dairy/soy/gluten but incredibly creamy and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment