Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie

I am working on  a recipe makeover for someone who wanted to make an easy but healthier version of the traditional chicken pot pie.  Due to my lack of ability to get to the grocery store, I could not fully accomplish the new version that I wanted to try, but this one turned out awfully tasty so I thought I would share :)
I diced organic carrots, celery, and zucchini and sauteed them in a touch of olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat with some frozen pearl onions.  I seasoned them with salt and pepper, nutmeg, sage and a bit of parsley.  The night before I had made two roasted chickens (which I always do, if you are bothering to do one, its no extra effort to make two!)... they make the BEST leftovers.  The chicken was cooked so all I had to do was shred it up into the dutch oven with my softening veggies- pretty sweet deal!

Now here comes the slightly odd part.  I did not have chicken stock, so I added sugar-free almond milk and water and thickened it up with a slurry of brown rice flour, a bit of organic butter and a touch of almond milk.  Once I added all the liquid and the slurry, I let the mixture simmer together for about 15 minutes to allow the liquid to thicken slightly and the veggies and chicken to absorb some of the flavor.
In the meantime, I made a quick gluten-free pie crust using equal parts brown rice and tapioca flour, a pinch of salt, butter and COLD water.  I only made enough for a top crust because I wanted to cut down on calories and unnecessary fat... plus, I have always felt that the real taste of the crust comes from the top layer anyway, the bottom and sides are just soggy and not all that necessary.

Using a pie pan (or in my case a round cake pan... it was closer and I was still on crutches!), spoon the chicken pot pie filling into the bottom of the pan and let it be completely full if not a little heeping.  Gently lift your pie crust over the top of the pie, brush with an egg wash (1 beaten egg and a dash of water or milk), poke a couple slits in the top so the steam does not make your pie explode and pop it into a pre-heated 325 degree oven for about 35 minutes.  I filled my pie up to the very top so I placed the pie pan on a baking sheet so the overflow did not destroy my oven!  No one likes to clean an oven unnecessarily!

My next try is going to involve butternut squash and cornbread... Mmmmmm ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment