Sunday, March 15, 2009

Ryan the Guinea Pig


My brother could see this as an advantage or disadvantage... you decide! He lives close by and so when I am experimenting with new recipes, I use him as my guinea pig. The thing you have to remember is that I am experimenting!! SO, it is not always a success. It has been a little less than a week since I have tried to come up with a new one, so I figured I would write 3 recipes, make them and stick them in Ryan's freezer. I know he will call me and say "uh, how do I heat this up?" so then I will know WHEN he is eating each dinner and I can hound him afterwards for an official critique! I can pretty much judge the success of the dinner based on the enthusiasm in his voice when he says it was "good." I ask if he would want it again, if he ate the whole thing (if not we would be in some serious trouble... recipe would be promptly ditched and never thought of again!) and if there is anything he would change. Its a good system, at least it weeds out the really bad ones and I can feel comfortable trying them out on other unsuspecting diners!
So this is what is on the menu for Ryan today...
1. Chicken Stir Fry with Curried Cashew Cream, snow peas, carrots, zucchini, water chestnuts and a side of brown rice with fresh mint and slivered almonds.
2. Corn and Herb crusted Grouper over whipped potatoes (just for Ryan... I would skip the potatoes) with spaghetti squash tossed with crumbled goat cheese, walnuts and parsley.
3. Penne pasta with shrimp, peas and a white bean cream sauce.
I never make red meat, I don't think its a bad thing to have once in a while, but I just don't make it for some reason... hmm. Anyway, we'll see what Ryan says about these, I wonder what he will like best?!

No comments:

Post a Comment