Sunday, September 27, 2009

Ahh, New England in the Fall



I was considering (strongly) moving to CA for at least 3 months but for several reasons my plan fell through...  at least for the time being.  In some ways I am happy it is post-poned because I LOVE LOVE LOVE the fall.  So my favorite season!  The brisk air, the brightly colored trees and crunch of fallen leaves under your feet, being comfortable in just jeans and a cozy sweatshirt.  Nothing beats it.
My favorite of all fall past times is without a doubt apple picking.  We go to Blue Jay farms in CT and have for many many years.  It is so beautiful in the orchards and Blue Jay has this little farm store with homemade cider donuts, pies, jams, etc.  Smells like heaven in there.  Unfortunately I cannot eat any of the treats anymore due to my gluten, dairy, soy-free restrictions.  Oh, but not to worry, I am making some of my own.  Filling my kitchen with the smell of baked apple and cinnamon is enough to make even the most heavily-laden gluten eaters re-consider purchasing pies pre-made.  Half the experience is being able to smell the deliciousness all day... mmmmmmm :)
My apple pie had a gluten-free pie crust, apple filling stacked about 2" above  the rim of the pie pan and a cinnamon crumb topping.  I am about to pull it out of the oven and snag a quick taste... will post a picture soon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment