Saturday, November 14, 2009

Baked Trout



We all know fish is good for us but for some reason there seems to be this general conception that fish is tricky to make so it becomes a once-in-a-while or never home cooked meal.  No more, my friends, no more.  Trout is one of the fish lowest in mercury, it is a lean protein and its pretty good for you too.  Here's how I like to prepare it.
First, always rinse your fish off so that you don't have any scales or yuks in on the flesh of the fish.  Pat it dry with a (recycled) paper towel and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (easier to clean and your not using canned spray).  Drizzle each piece with a touch of olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and an array of your favorite spices.  I like things hot so I typically use: ancho chili pepper, chipotle chili pepper, paprika, cayanne pepper, parsley and on occasion tarragon.  If you don't enjoy the heat, tarragon and parsley make a great combo on trout... it will give the trout a buttery taste.
I bake the trout in the oven at 375 for about 6-7 minutes and then broil for 1-2 minutes.
When I made the trout tonight (pictured above), my sides were sauteed swiss chard and button mushrooms and creamy brown rice with parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
Give trout a try and you will see how quick and easy a fish dinner can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment