Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving and G-F Cornbread

We just found out that we are hosting Thanksgiving this year... sweet.  Actually, I am excited, Thanksgiving is usually my favorite holiday and this year my bro is not working (but will be for Christmas) so it is definitely my fav. this year!

Thanksgiving is one of those holidays that you just have to make two versions of many (normally gluten-full) dishes.  I make the cornbread and pumpkin pies both gluten-full and gluten-free, I don't want everyone stealing my gluten-free food!!  Cause, clearly it is better than refined flour and white sugar- I mean, who would choose that?!  The funny thing is, this year when I made the cornbread, I ran out of regular corn meal and had to use polenta meal.  Ended up adding great texture and worked well in the bread!

I will post my pumpkin pie recipe after its made this year with a photo, but here is the recipe :)

Gluten-Free Cornbread
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups corn meal (or half meal and half polenta)
1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 TBS organic butter
1/2 cup applesauce
2 whole eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup local honey
How To:
Mix together dry ingredients (corn meal through salt).  Cut the butter into the dry mixture using two butter knives or a pastry cutter until you can no longer see big chunks of butter.  Next, gently whisk together applesauce through honey and pour into the butter and flour mixture.  Stir to combine.
Pour out into an 8x8 baking pan (I prefer glass) and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes and then turn the oven down to 350 and cook another 10-12 minutes until you can poke it with a cake tester or toothpick and it comes out clean.
Let cool in the baking dish and then slice into squares and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment