Sunday, November 8, 2009

I'll have the fried chicken sandwich, but hold the bottom bun.

I have seen some crazy things in my day, but this has to come close to one of the least-logical food choices yet.  I am sitting on a plane in Atlanta (connecting from LA to NYC) and this man is sitting diagonally across the isle from me.  He is a rather full gentleman who's belly grazed up against the tray table.  I curiously looked around to see what food he brought on the plane... my own hunger and curiosity melded with the variety of aromas wafting up into the stale airplane air from everyone's delectable airport dinner choices.  Anyway, up comes a fast food bag.  Oh no I thought, please don't... really, whatever is wrapped up in that papery-tinfoil, its not worth it, I promise you it's not.  As he unwrapped, the fried chicken sandwich with all the fixin's, all I could see was it sitting there on the tray table like a heart attack.  Then, for some reason, the fried chicken man took off the tiny bottom bun and left it on the side.  Hmm, I thought, is he trying to be health conscious?  Is this an attempt to adhere to the Atkins diet or some other carb-limiting plan that would prompt him to remove that bottom half of his bun?  No it couldn't be, surely if he cared about the carbs, the top bun (the thicker of the two) would have to go as well, as would the oil saturated breading surrounding his (hopefully real) chicken!  Well, four bites later and the sandwich was gone.  All I could think was- hey, at least there were no fries!  I shouldn't have been worried about fries.  To my great dismay, the man reached down into his fast food bag and grabbed round two, another sandwich.  He performed the same ketchup/mustard- squirting/bun removal technique as before and once again, four bites and probably close to 1,000 calories later it was all devoured and rapidly absorbing into his body.
I wanted to run to the flight attendant, flailing my arms and screaming EMERGENCY!!!  Get that man some kale, get him a shot of wheat grass... ok, right, this is a plane- at least some bloody mary mix?!  Of course I held myself together, realized that I have to accept that people continue to make these (sorry for saying so) stupid choices and then wonder why they have to rely so heavily on medications, healthcare and their ever-expanding waist lines.
I know I am generalizing, being mean and that I really should not judge, but I the truth is, I feel worried about our society.  I feel concerned that in a world where more and more evidence points to the direct correlation between what you eat and how well you are... so many people don't seem to care.  We have to get them to care, or at least show them why they should.
*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment