Saturday, November 14, 2009

How do you make your Lentils?


During my trip to LA, I stayed with my good friend from HS and his girlfriend, Cristina.  Cristina made a giant batch of hearty lentils absolutely loaded with veggies... and we ended up eating them all week.  On salads, warmed with toasted corn tortillas, etc., etc.  They were delicious.  After asking me how I typically make my lentils I realized that the answer is- I don't.  It's a shame because lentils are such a great food, but I just never think to make them.
First thing when I got home I went to the grocery store and bought a bag of organic red lentils and whipped up the batch pictured above.  I think I overcooked them a bit because the lentils broke down and sort of melted into the veggies... which, turns out I actually love.  I seasoned this batch with curry, turmeric, cumin, cayenne pepper and of course a touch of sea salt.  Upon serving though, I either scooped them out as they were or I stirred them together with a dollop of creamy goat cheese and a drop of sarancho chili sauce (my preference).  Either way, they are completely satisfying and certainly a single meal in a pot!  Although my brother was wondering where the meat was and said he did love them but thinks of them as more of a snack.  I guess it depends on the size of your appetite.  I was just happy he liked them so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment